Speak to a Recruiter Today
If you are nearing the end of your military service and are interested in becoming a police officer, apply to the FCPD SkillBridge Program! The Fairfax County Police Department will place you directly into our world-class, 6-month police academy as part of the program. When your military service commitment ends, you can transition seamlessly into FCPD employment, where you will finish the remainder of the police academy, be sworn in as a Police Officer I and complete your Field Training Instruction period. We suggest that you apply for the FCPD SkillBridge Program 12 months prior to the end of your service commitment. However, you can still apply if you have less than 12 months of service remaining. We can accommodate internships between 2 and 26 weeks in length! Use the form below to reach out to one of our recruiters with any questions.
- Must be within 180 days of military separation prior to the start of your FCPD SkillBridge Program.
- It is highly suggested, but not required that you complete your military out-processing prior to the start of the program.
- If selected, you will receive a provisional hiring offer prior to the start of the program.
- Provided that you complete all requirements set forth by the FCPD and the Fairfax County Criminal Justice Academy, you will be hired as a Police Officer I after separation from military service.
- Military Police may be eligible for a shortened, 8-week police academy!
- Apply for Police Officer I
- Personal History Questionnaire
- Physical Abilities Test
- FCPD SkillBridge Program Questionnaire
- Notify your military command of your intention to participate in the FCPD SkillBridge Program
- Background Investigation
- Psychological Evaluation
- Medical Exam
- Have your military command complete the Command Authorization Form (CAF)
- FCPD Conditional Hiring Offer
- Begin your FCPD SkillBridge Program
- Our police academy is a Veteran’s Affairs approved On-the-Job-Training facility. You may be eligible to receive GI Bill benefits.
Use the comparison tool here.
- You will be required to attend our police academy in Chantilly, Virginia. It will be in-person, Monday – Friday from 0700 – 1500 hours. There are several training objectives that will require night-time hours.
- The FCPD is a military reserve friendly employer and offers paid military leave.
- After the completion of your FCPD SkillBridge Program and being hired by the FCPD, you will receive full pay and benefits for the remainder of the police academy.